Age of Empires (often abbreviated to AoE or AofE), is a history-based real-time strategy computer game released in 1997. Developed by Ensemble Studios and published by Microsoft, the game uses the Genie Game Engine, a 2D sprite based game engine. The game allows the user to act as the leader of an ancient civilization by advancing them through four ages, (Stone Age, Tool Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age) gaining access to new and improved units with each advance.Originally touted as "Civilization" meets "Warcraft", many thought that it failed to live up to these expectations when it was released. However, it did receive generally good reviews, and an expansion pack for the game was released in 1998 named Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome Expansion. Both the original Age of Empires and the expansion pack were later released as "the Gold Edition".
- Windows 95, windows 98, windows NT workstation 4.0 or windows XP and also Windows Vista
- 16 MB RAM for Windows 95 or windows 98, 24 MB for Windows NT
- DirectSound 5 API compatible sound card
- 235 MB hard disk space, 50 MB of availible hard disk space for swap file.
- 4X CD rom
- 90 MHz Pentium or faster
- Super VGA video display (with 1 MB VRAM)
- 28.8kps modem for head-to-head play
Insert the Age of Empires Gold CD into CD rom drive then follow directions on screen.
Note: Age of Empires Gold installs both Age of Empires 1.0b and Age of Empires Expansion 1.0 on your computer